Monday, September 3, 2007

There She Goes...


If ever a girl was ready for first-grade it would be this one. Smart, social and super-independent, my 6 1/2 year old would sleep at school if she could. I'm not sure I'll be able to make it through the day without her tomorrow.

She is my miracle girl. When I knew adoption was the way we were going to build our family, I prayed and prayed that the Lord would send me the right kids. The ones meant for our family and meant for one another. I also prayed for help in recognizing them as mine.

Sure enough, child #1 was born on my husband's birthday. He also turned out to be a lefty like his dad and a book-lover like his mom. The kid was definitely ours.

While we were waiting for this baby, however, I wondered if it was too much to hope for another miracle. I prayed and prayed again. And, was it greedy to ask for a sweet little girl, who would be the perfect match for her big brother?

Looking at these two side-by-side is a daily reminder of God's love. The truth is, I would have taken (and loved) just about any children. But the fact that two siblings who share no DNA can look more alike than their little twin brothers is a little miracle that I will never take for granted.

Not only is she the perfect physical match to her big brother, my princess is the perfect complement to him socially, emotionally and scholastically. His weaknesses are her strengths and vice versa. I have no doubt that when our Father in Heaven chose to send us such a challenging #1, He knew the answer to many of our future prayers would be this precious girl.

Of course, living in this family learning lab, surrounded by three crazy brothers is not easy. But my gal is definitely up for the job. Like the song, she gets knocked down and then back up again. Over and over and over. She is quick to forgive and, if not always forget, at least find something else to keep her busy.

I am so proud of her growth this summer. She has taught herself to read, swims like a fish and has to be pulled away from piano practice! Her first grade teacher will be delighted to have this helpful, happy little girl in the classroom. But her mom is going to miss her terribly.

Jump in with both feet, sis! I love you!

8 comments:

Christie said...

You are such a good writer, and such a good mom. Love this description of little miss Em. Such a beautiful girl!

Anonymous said...

I want to join your family!!! Love love love how well you express your feelings toward your kiddies. They are the ones that are blessed to have such a fantastic mom on their side. Keep up the great work! :)

Travelin'Oma said...

Emmie is the girl I always wanted to be--brave, confident, able to hold her own with the boys, beautiful and feminine and athletic. She's in the right place for sure!

marta said...

emily is one li'l sweetheart! i just love her to pieces and know she will be winning miss congeniality in no time. xoxo. hope her first day is a big success.

mama jo said...

your kids sound darling...and perfect...they might have some challenges...but they will be interesting fun kids..

laina kay said...

Love, love these posts about your kids! You've got me tearing up.

Rochelleht said...

I am thinking we have parallel lives. My Jane sounds just like your sweet Emmie. What a lovely post.

Good luck today!!!! Go have some fun with your two little ones! Even though it's still 2, it's better than 4, right? :-)

Amy said...

Em is one of our favorite girlfriends. She is a great example to my girlies. She really taught Chloe that it's ok to play without her mom nearby. That independence is the spirit of Em. First grade will rock!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...