Thursday, March 4, 2010

Construction Zone





I'm finally getting the home I always wanted.

Just in time to sell.

Yay.

New kitchen floor, beautiful new bathroom for the kids, freshly painted walls in every room. That water stain on the ceiling? Gone. The basement shelves I'd given up on? Straight and sturdy.

It is exciting and annoying all at the same time.


There are at least eight strange men wandering through my house today. Moving things around. Switching things off and on. Making a lot of noise.


Come to think of it, they're not a whole lot different from my children. Just way more expensive.





I've always thought of this house as a grande dame. Once a great beauty, she still has excellent bone structure, but there has been some sagging and drooping over the years. The genteel shabbiness has been part of her charm.


But this week she's getting the face-lift she deserves. We're still in the messy and painful stage. I'm excited for the bandages to come off.

My only question, if she's the one having the work done, why am I feeling so sore and tired?

11 comments:

Annemarie said...

You always make me smile!

Christie said...

Don't you hate fixing up a house for someone else? It's just plain wrong. Ugh.

Tristan said...

I'm excited to see the after pictures. Although I agree with Christie, it does suck that the renovations are not for you.

Rochelleht said...

That totally sucks that you don't get to enjoy all that work for yourself. I hope the new house is all you hope for.

brooke said...

I've totally been there. All of a sudden, the house looks so good--you don't want to leave.

I finally learned my lesson and we are doing a kitchen renovation and wood floors now instead of when we decide it's time to move. I'm going to enjoy the new stuff dang it!

the wrath of khandrea said...

gab's address: 10 heidi montag drive

Travelin'Oma said...

I remember the remodel months. The good thing is there's no point in cleaning.

Robin said...

When we remodeled our house to move we ate fast food nearly everyday. It was gross and now none of us like fast food anymore.

Shes gonna be a beautiful house when she's done. Did you take before pictures?

Lauren in GA said...

Man, you have a way with words. Your writing is just so clever and perfect. You are the queen of analogies. I love it. I know I say things like that often but I really and truly am always amazed with how wonderful your posts are.

So true. I always get all of the projects done that I want when it is time for us to vacate the premises.

heidiram said...

Wow! I've missed a lot the last month or so. Now when I FINALLY make it to NYC you won't even be in that neck of the woods anymore. Bummer.

Jenibelle said...

Oh, please tell me that your black cupboards are staying...I COVET them. Truly, I daydream about them, plot how I am going to copy, my favorite feature of your very, very beautiful and stately home. I thought it was perfect.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...