Monday, May 3, 2010

A Window in His Smile

All four of my children have been last among their peers to get and lose baby teeth. This is tough because everybody knows that a gap-toothed grin is the ultimate kindergarten status symbol. So Sam was completely thrilled when his first little chopper came out at school today. Not only did the event totally dominate Circle Time, but he also got to visit the school nurse and received a plastic treasure box, a brushing chart and a sticker! Heady stuff.


Once home, he lost and found the tooth at least half a dozen times. It's hard work keeping such a tiny pearl safe until bedtime.

(P.S. I am very proud of Luke. He has been supportive and hidden his envy well. It must be tough to watch your twin excel in tooth-losing and (worse!) money-getting. Especially when you don't have even the teensiest of wiggles in your own mouth.)

Anyway, I am happy we have some tooth stories on the bookshelf. It's a fun way to make bedtime a little more special.

Little Rabbit's Loose Tooth by Lucy Bate.

A classic. I remember reading it at the dentist's office when I was little.

The Holiday Handwriting School by Robin Pulver

The twins want SO MUCH to believe in the Tooth Fairy even with all the doubtful comments from the sophisticated third- and fifth-graders in the family. What better way to comfort them than a book all about the Tooth Fairy and her buddies, Santa & the Easter Bunny?

Throw Your Tooth on the Roof by Selby B. Beeler

Do you know kids in South America throw their teeth on the roof? African children plant them in the ground. French children leave them for the Tooth Rat to find. Fun and educational. Enjoy!

10 comments:

Tristan said...

The tooth rat? That sounds a little gross to me! HA! Only cuz I can't stand rodents.

Congrats to Sam for loosing his first tooth! How fun for him!

Jenibelle said...

Dr. G says that you want your children's teeth to fall out later than sooner, it means you have healthy gums and a strong jaw and it gives the enamel on your permanent teeth more time to strengthen.
That's your dental lesson for the day.

Also, now Luke can brag that his teeth are better and stronger...at which time Sam may belt him and knock one out. Which would probably make both of them happy.

Travelin'Oma said...

All the rolling, crawling, standing, walking and talking is long forgotten. Losing a tooth is the first physical accomplishment a kid can really enjoy. I love toothless kids—they are so proud of themselves! Congratulations, Sammy!

Lauren in GA said...

Awww, Luke is pretty impressive that he is concealing his envy so well. That would be so hard.

How fun that Sam got the star treatment for a lost tooth.

I love the book recommendations. Thank you.

Christie said...

Poor little Wukey. I can't imagine having a twin to compete with!

And do you save the teeth like Opa? Josh has forced that on me and I have a large bag of teeth in my closet that really creeps me out.

Julie H said...

It's fun how excited they get when they lose those first few teeth.

mama jo said...

where did you find a house? when do you move?

Rochelleht said...

Did you read Jeni's comment? That's why I have sucky teeth and so will my children. My gets got their teeth starting at 3 months and so they lose them really early. Grace has already lost 9. She just turned 7. We are doomed.

Rochelleht said...

Wow, what was that!? I meant 'My kids', not 'My gets'!

It's early.

the wrath of khandrea said...

another goodie- "dear tooth fairy". forgo the author, but it is so detailed. noe is obsessed with the TF right now. it's a bit girly, but a must-read.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...