In case you hadn't heard, my mother had a huge birthday surprise this weekend. All seven of her children and spouses (face it...Mom likes them better!) came from all over the country to celebrate her sixtieth.
So, I got to spend the weekend with some of my favorite people in the whole wide world. Plenty of Coke products, lots of playful banter, late nights filled with Halvie-style philosophizing and inside jokes. Also much jockeying for the position of "favorite child."
I love going home to Salt Lake. I like getting fry sauce with every meal. I like hearing people say "yer" instead of "your"...the accents sound like mine and everything feels just so comfortable and familiar. The anchor people on the news are still the same and the mountains are majestic.
Everywhere I go, I am sure I will run into an old friend and, of course I never do. Except this weekend I did see an old friend I've known since 2nd grade. Somehow she looked exactly the same! And she said I did too! (I hope not...have you seen my 2nd grade school pic? Dorothy Hammill would rollover in her grave. If she were dead, which I don't think she is.)
(Last two pix courtesy of my sister, Marta...her husband is a lawyer and likes to shoot...so no copyright infringement here.)
I have the world's best mom. The fact that all her children wanted to be with her (and that we all wanted to be with each other) speaks volumes.
- Amy for coming up with such a perfect scheme.
- Dan for taking Brad shooting.
- Josh and Micah for not shooting Brad when he forgot your tickets.
- Heidi and Marta for your fine movie selection.
- Scott and Jac for babysitting.
- Pete and Anna for rounding out the grandkid count to an even Two-Oh.
- Candice and Christie for staying married to my brothers.
- Dad for staying up past your bedtime.
- Brad for loving my family as much as I do!