Monday, August 3, 2009

Day One: City of Steel

We're off to a good start. Carly Simon on the car stereo, Cracker Barrel for dinner and a few Swedish fish squished between the seats. Everybody's happy.
First stop: Pittsburgh.

Truly a lovely city. Clean and hilly, surrounded by rivers...like the Pennsylvania lovechild of San Francisco and Chicago. It's my first time here and I've been impressed.
Pittsburgh's got a whole different vibe than Philadelphia. A little more laid-back. A little more midwestern. I like it.
Riding the Monongahela Incline, (Can you say "funicular"?) we got a lovely bird's eye view of the city. Then headed to the Fairfield for swimming and elevator riding--our two favorite hotel activities.

After a bit of wrestling and some whisper-yelling, all four kids are asleep in one room. No small miracle since the kids treat hotel rooms as personal bounce houses with mini-shampoos.

Today's mileage: 300+
Today's weather: hot and sticky
Today's mothering: sunny with intermittent dark clouds at bedtime

13 comments:

Ilene said...

Oh, I have missed you. Glad you went on vacation so you could return to blogging.

Annemarie said...

I am just still so impressed. You and your kids will have a fabulous trip with great memories.

Jeanelle said...

I have missed you so much! So glad you're back. I'm taking a road trip to Utah in a couple of weeks with two of my girlfriends. It'll be a little different than yours, I'm thinking!!! ;)

the wrath of khandrea said...

i want to cry because i am so happy you are doing this. please provide regular momcasts. they are reassuring and entertaining.

calibosmom said...

I'm lovin' this travelogue already. Keep 'em coming!!!

Christie said...

I've never been to Pittsburgh either. Didn't picture it as cute as you say, so I'm glad to know I've underestimated it.

Oh, and, um, WE CANNOT WAIT UNTIL YOU GET HERE. Little people (and big ones, too) are counting the minutes. Hurry up already!

Travelin'Oma said...

Love your navigator!

Hazen5 said...

gorgeous sites! I am so glad your are back, missed you.

Anonymous said...

Sounds so fun! Glad you are back!

queenieweenie said...

so jealous! i've never seen that part of the country. what a good mommy you are-whisper yelling and all!

Lauren in GA said...

You are just so, so, witty Gabi. I loved the, "bounce houses with mini-shampoos" and the mothering forecast. Oh, how I have missed your awesomeness.

Melissa-Mc said...

We used to live in Pittsburgh! This post brought back many happy memories, especially the incline.

Jenibelle said...

I MISSED YOU!!!!


My kids think hotel beds are disguised trampolines.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...