Thursday, August 7, 2008

Observations From a 20-Year High School Reunion

    Michelle & Amber...two of my favorite high school friends
    1. The dorkier, goofier-looking, lamer you were in high school the better. People don't expect much from you and are surprised you have grown up to be a little less dorky, goofy-looking and lame.
    2. If you have an unusual name, people you have known since FIRST GRADE will still mispronounce it.
    3. Conventional wisdom is wrong...men do not age better than women. All the 38-year-old females will look great. Only 5% of the men will even be recognizable.
    4. If you go to school in Utah, don't be surprised that your former classmate has THIRTEEN children (no twins, triplets, or step-children). And she will look great.
    5. Many people you meet will have given their children the same names you have chosen for yours. (Lots of "Lukes"...you were, after all, the Star Wars/Dukes of Hazzard generation!) One friend might even give her daughter YOUR name (the mispronounced version, of course).
    6. It is strangely thrilling to be in a room with 300 other people who are exactly your age and who grew up in your hometown. For this reason alone, you will feel an intense connection and love them all.
    7. Some things never change. The cute boy from your math class will not acknowledge your existence and the creepy guy from German II will hold your hand a little too long.
    8. The best revenge is to sit next to the hottest guy in the room. (Just don't let him know how lame and dorky you really are...)
    Sweet Revenge

    18 comments:

    Lauren in GA said...

    I love it! It is my 20 year reunion this year, too. I ate up each and every word...

    Especially the sweet revenge :)

    I am pleased to hear that many of the men are not recognizable ;D !

    Melissa-Mc said...

    Great observations. Let's meet at the BHS 30 year reunion :)

    Bridget said...

    good for you for going! I think I would be chicken. I am happy to hear that the women are aging better than the men.

    Rochelleht said...

    Oh, how fun! I LOVED Greg's, even though it wasn't my school and I LOVED my 15th 3 years ago. I agree. There is something about being in the same room with people who shared your same upbringing. And having a fab hubby doesn't hurt.

    Jenibelle said...

    I went to my 30th last year. I left early thinking they were all talking about how "Jeni D...she's so fat!!" Oh well.

    You, on the other hand, are adorable, and might I say, yes, your husband is a sweet revenge!!!

    Amanda D said...

    Great post. I love your observations.
    We made your grilled pizza a couple of weeks ago, and it was so good! Thanks.

    Travelin'Oma said...

    High school friends shared a huge part of growing up with us. We understand each other. I'm so glad you went to your reunion. It takes courage to actually show up. I've helped plan a few of mine, and then chickened out at the last minute. I don't know why it's so scary. Brad is a great show and tell item.

    Christie said...

    Maybe you should consider hiring out Brad to be eye candy for lonely ladies to take to their reunions. He'd make a fortune!

    Holly said...

    Excellent, spot-on observations. It's good to know women are aging more gracefully than the men.

    kara jayne said...

    Just because of this post I may consider going to mine. I haven't gone to any of mine so far. I've got a few years to gear up for it! Glad you had a good time.

    Anonymous said...

    Never had a chance to go to any reunion, so thanks for the comments to let me know what really happens! Good thoughts!

    calibosmom said...

    I like #8 the best!

    Celia Fae said...

    Okay. This is very interesting. Of course, since we're the same age my reunion is this year too and I don't want to go. I've been trying to talk myself into it. I need your diagnosis:
    1 HS reunion
    1 Me who only went to that HS 3 years and spent el and mid years elsewhere
    1 HS classmates I didn't particularly like the first time around
    Infinity more pounds.

    What is the solution?

    Paige said...

    Glad you went and had a good time. My excuse for not ever going is a. facebook is a daily HS reunion, and b. I married my HS sweetheart so every day is a reunion, right? and c. Those extra 30 lbs.

    You are a star for going and even liking it!

    crystal said...

    Yep. I think women age well. Our bones come emerge from our face or something. Does that make sense?

    Anonymous said...

    Sounds like you had a great time. It's a little surreal isn't it? It IS nice to have a good looking date for the event.

    Ilene said...

    So funny.

    The only reason I wanted to go to my reunion was to show off my husband and declare, "Hah! Despite being a massive dork, I married the COOL guy after all."

    Marci said...

    I loved reading this!! I've wanted to call you and see how your reunion went. I am so behind on life (I haven't even been checking blogs - what is up with that???). You looked gorgeous for your reunion! And I could seriously copy and paste your post and add my photos to it - I felt the same way!! My favorite moment from mine was when Robb saw my high school crush (that ignored me in high school and definitely at the reunion, which is fine, because he isn't cute anymore) and he said "I'm way hotter than him!" And he is!! ;) Sweet revenge, indeed! Maybe someday I will post about it on my blog...

    And what is up with me and my long comments tonight on your blog? I've missed it - and you!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...