Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Chill

I really need to chill.

I have summer vacation burnout.

With the Western States Tour taking four weeks to complete (not counting one week to prep and one week recovery)...the flurry of social obligations, church responsibilities and medical appointments since returning home...plus the everyday overwhelmingness of keeping four children fed, clothed and educationally entertained all day...I am seriously exhausted.

And, of course, Michael Phelps has been keeping me up way past my bedtime.

So, this afternoon, I am hiding out in my personal little igloo. Do not disturb. It's "rest time."

Do you do rest time at your house? My mother was ridiculously religious about it, but of course now I see her wisdom and try to keep up the tradition, at least a few days a week.

These are the rules:
  • every person must be in a separate room with the door closed
  • children may play quietly or read
  • napping is optional (actual sleeping is generally discouraged, as it interferes with my other favorite tradition...7 o'clock bedtime!)
  • and, most importantly, LEAVE MOM ALONE

So...right now:

  • one child is listening to a book on CD
  • one has opened her own American Girl beauty shop
  • one is snoring here beside me, blue blankie clutched tight
  • one is begging entrance to the American Girl beauty shop, while being ignored by everyone else

And I am doing fifteen minutes of nothing, fifteen minutes reading my latest, and fifteen minutes sharing the igloo-love with all of you.

Namaste.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, even when no one is around, I need that valuable "Rest Time"!

the wrath of khandrea said...

clever post. i may have to implement these rules. they are sage and practical, and i can see myself benefitting immensely from them. and by "benefitting", i mean "blogging".

Bridget said...

Enjoy. I need some chill time. It won't be happening any time soon though as I have five boys here under the age of 6. Heaven help me.

Christie said...

Oh, we would be religious about that today, in fact (we were all summer long) if THEY WEREN'T IN SCHOOL ALL DAY NOW! Woo hoo - it was my own version of rest time - all day long. I celebrated our first day of school by going to see two movies: One at the temple, and one at the movie theater - Mamma Mia (for the fifth time). I think it was the best day ever.

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

That is a beautiful idea. So beautiful I want to CRY.
(can you tell it's been a looooooong summer?)

Travelin'Oma said...

My children survived childhood mainly because of Rest Time and the 7pm bedtime. I am so happy the tradition is going forward!

Wendy said...

your latest read is one of my favorites! Might be a good time for a re-read

Melissa-Mc said...

Sometimes I need a vacation just to get over my vacation! Just keep chillin'

Margaret said...

Namaste to you too. Although, I'm only good at this on Sundays. I should slow down more...thanks for the reminder.☺

Lauren in GA said...

I know what you mean...I was so exhausted after our family vacation that I could have slept for weeks.

I think the quiet time is a must.

Rochelleht said...

I love it. When does school start? The wonderful part of this summer is that I haven't needed an igloo. We aren't on top of eachother and grandma next door is always good for some fun while I sit and read or just watch them play. It's been great. Now, ask me how I feel at the end of next week when I've unpacked and it's 103 outside and the kids are bored...

Laurie said...

I am so glad I stopped by and read this, it's just what we need! Especially now, end of summer, kids getting antsy....

Ilene said...

Can I come crawl into your igloo? My kids seem to keep burrowing into mine.

Unknown said...

I try to do this as well but not with closed doors - great idea!!! My problem is that I tend to nod off myself and then speak incoherently to my kids when they ask me question after question - heaven knows what I've agreed to!
Here's to chillin'!!!

D-dawg said...

I love quiet time...it's just that my children don't love it so much. Now I'm trying to get mine in when they're gone so it's easier. I can't believe your vacation was 4 weeks- you must be so tired!

Margaret said...

You HAVE to read Eclipse. It was my favorite until I read Breaking Dawn!☺

crystal said...

Oh, you genius woman, you.

I plan to emulate this as soon as I return home from my parents' house, where I am hiding from real life.

calibosmom said...

I love quiet time! I do this often and everyone must comply. Go to your rooms and leave me alone (of course I say it nicely and never with the evil eye!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...